Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Making contact

Dear S,

I know we have never met before. My father is Y--your husband A's cousin (A's father was my father's mother's brother). I am sorry to bother you, but I don't know how to write in Farsi (I can only speak) and I asked my dad for A's father's phone-number and he said I could ask you instead. I don't think my father has good relations with A's father, but I would like to see A's father when I come to Iran shortly and to contact him to see if that is possible.


During that time, I would also like to visit my father's mother's grave because nobody has ever taken me there. I was hoping maybe A's dad could take me there because I don't know where it is and A's dad is the only person in my father's family that my father has introduced me to.* I remember meeting A's dad maybe 10 years ago and he was very nice to me.**

I am attaching some pictures of myself. Please feel free to share them with A and A's dad. Please let me know if you can ask A's dad if I can visit him for maybe one hour and he can take me to see my grandmother's grave. My dad doesn't tell me anything about his family so I don't know if he will be upset if I visit A's dad or not, so please don't mention this to my father.*** I don't know what the story is. I just want to visit my grandmother's grave if it is in Tehran. Please let me know if I should contact A's dad myself and how I can do that (my Farsi is bad though). I will only be in Iran for one week and I want to make sure this can happen before I buy my tickets.

Thank you so much!! I hope I can maybe meet you one day too!
Best,
[Pervisan Perversion]


*Not true. I also visited my father's other uncle who lives next door to this uncle. They don't speak to each other. Since they have the same last name, the mail gets mixed up sometimes. The wife told me that when she gets the wrong mail, she ties a rock to it and throws it over the courtyard wall so she doesn't have to knock on their door and see them in person.


**Totally objectively (with no knowledge that he most likely killed my grandmother, his sister), yes, he was nice to me. Before I left his home in Tehran, he took me aside from my father and secretly gave me this ring:
the ring my uncle gave me
He told me it had belonged to religious men in my family for many generations and that one day it would fit me. It's a tiger's eye and it completely creeps me out. I keep it wrapped in the back of my jewelry box. He was right: I just tried it on and it fits now.

***This is a lie, but maybe it will endear A's dad to me and make him think he can still "win" me over. My dad and his other uncle are filing a suit against him for murder. I don't know what the legal system in Iran is for honor killing, or how it works, or whether he knows the filing is happening, or when it's happening, or what will happen if they win--just that the one time I met him, he gave me a man's ring to fill and seemed to have things to say, and maybe he still does.
You might or might not know, but my father has kept his family away from me so I am not entirely familiar. Mostly, I only know my mother's family. A year or so ago, my mother's mother (my grandmother) died. I am coming to Iran to visit her grave some time either the end of April or in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment