Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's coming

It's coming, it's finally coming! A reality show about Persian-Americans! And I am sooooo scared.
Soon the entire nation will know about "Tehrangeles," the tight-knit and stereotypically wealthy Persian-American community of Los Angeles. Ryan Seacrest and Bravo television are developing a series called "Shahs Of Sunset" (a working title), that will center on a group of young Persian-American adults living and working in Los Angeles.
Honestly, I know a lot of people will be up in arms about this, but I can say as an individual that I would really welcome more Persians in mainstream pop-culture. "Jersey Shore" opened our eyes to a whole sub-culture of guidos and "juiceheads" and sexist horrors, but even though it's totally raunchy and not representative of the entire young Italian-American population, it still made me more aware that they existed. I think people in America generally have very little understanding that there are Persian-Americans living in the U.S. right here, next door, and that we aren't all veiled Islamic fundamentalists. I'm sure the show will depict only the most obnoxious people, but I for one will be the first person watching, hoping this sparks a dialogue.

2 comments:

  1. That is funny. Seacrest. Heh. I think they should just call it Tehrangeles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main thing I'm worried about is that Persians are going to come across as all rich and ungrateful (when that is anything but the case), and in the general political climate, that is going to be another reason for ignorant people to hate us :(

    ReplyDelete