Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

With love

Since I wrote my paternal grandmother's brother's son's wife about visiting Iran... I have gotten no response.

When my dad visited me last weekend, I asked him for her phone-number and he said he'd give it later.

Then today I got this email from him:
"Never ever, ask about my parents or family. Just go to see the graves of other grandparents, mine never existed." [sic]

And then he goes on to list how much money he has loaned my mother's family throughout the years and what kind of debt they owe him, AS IF this has anything to do with anything. I GET IT: He and my mother hate each other, but they refuse to get a divorce for cultural reasons. And the irony is that his mother was murdered because she sought to get a divorce. Ha!
At this point, it seems like I will never get to find out where my paternal grandmother is buried or what happened to her--from one all-consuming hatred of a woman to another all-consuming hatred: they just manifest in different ways. I feel helpless, angry, depressed.

He signs his email with "Love." (Is it no wonder that my notions of what that means are twisted?)

No comments:

Post a Comment