Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Big Brother

My father's late sister convinced my mother to abort her first child, a boy. She wanted my mother to have a girl first, to honor her own mother who had died prematurely. When my mother went into labor with me, my father was working, so she walked by herself three blocks to the University Hospital from student housing (which has since been demolished and is now a parking lot across the street from Agua Verde in Seattle). My mother had her abortion a few years earlier at the Planned Parenthood in the Central District (which has also since been demolished and is now, I think, a Safeway grocery store or something like that?). She didn't tell me about my potential older brother until I was in college; she says she deeply regrets it, and she blames my father's sister for convincing her.

Even though abortion is illegal in Iran, thousands of women have abortions every year. Often, you get special "abortion pills" in black market alleys (Nasser Khosrow is the one my cousins talk about most). According to Pardis Mahdavi's book, "Passionate Uprisings," sometimes, the "abortion pills" are fakes actually meant for animals, and the women go through severe pain and/or die. In 2005, the law was made more lenient.

I write all this to prelude the latest viral email in the Persian female circuit (mother included). The email is a video made by an Iranian Christian group called Elam, and more specifically by Dr. Mojdeh Shirvanian. It's called "Interview With An Unborn Child":
I'm posting the Farsi version with English subtitles (there's a Farsi-only version too)--don't worry; there are no shocking images or anything like that. I've gotten this video from three separate Persians over the past few days. I guess the crazy part for me is that it's not the Farsi version that has been getting the most traction--it's the English version! I'm really confused by this. I did a little Googling and found out that  American pro-lifers are forwarding links to this video too!
Talking with someone involved with the video I [National Right to Life] learned that “It was really designed originally for the Persian world but has spring-boarded from there and now the English website has taken off.”
I'm fascinated by the earnestness of the otherwise-progressive Persian women who forwarded this video to me. Born and raised in the U.S., I come to think of the topic of abortion as a very binary thing: either you're passionately pro-choice or passionately pro-life, but never have I seen someone be pro-choice and forward viral pro-life emails at the same time. So I guess this is a uniquely foreign approach? I guess what fascinates me more though is the embrace of this video by fundamental American groups like the one I linked above. I'm telling you, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall at a convention that united fundamentalists from every country. They'd have such a blast getting to know each other.

9 comments:

  1. Omg, that video is just gross and idiotic.

    Why does it fascinate you that Right To Life would jump on this? It seems right up their alley to me.

    I tried to find a pro-choice website talking about this, but apparently it hasn't made their circuit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it's really sad that your mother was coerced into having an abortion. That should never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why it fascinates that RTL would promote a Persian pro-life video... It's probably mixed up with my stereotyping that anyone who reads RTL would also be anti-Middle Easterner?

    Yeah, my mom's story is fucked up. But, hey, I'M here, so that's all that matters! haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conservatives like all sorts of stuff you wouldn't expect as long as it fits in with the larger issues they're trying to put forward. Case in point:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3tgY_eI_P0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Pro-lifers will literally jump on ANYTHING they think will further their cause.

    My case in point: http://feministsforchoice.com/greg-fultz-billboard-an-assault-on-all-women.htm

    New Mexico's Right to Life jumped on board with this psycho without vetting a god damn thing about him or his story.

    Also, how do I get this thing to give me updates when new comments are added? I've just been checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ interimlover: Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a very controversial figure. I read "Infidel," and I feel sorry for her. What she went through is awful and abusive... but I also think what she went through wasn't sanctioned by "Islam" in any way (i.e. female circumcision, which is a holdover from local tradition in her country which is why female circumcision doesn't happen in other so-called "Islamic" countries like Iran--everyone seems to use religion as a means to justify whatever fucked up thing they want to do, including Iran in different ways), so I think her crusade is a bit misguided. It seems she should be more against people who exploit Islam (or any religion for that matter) as an excuse to abuse women, rather than against Islam itself (which is actually pretty feminist when you study it--the first believer was a woman). It’s scary that she’s on shows like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ nikoel: Not sure how to get notices... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nikoel, you can subscribe to comments on these posts using Google Reader... you just have to grab the "Comments" link up at the top of each post and put that into Reader. It's kind of tedious, but does the trick.

    @Taha, I definitely know she's controversial and feel like I can't really respond intelligently until I've read her book and digested how she's actually criticized Islam. I read the 1-star reviews of Infidel in Amazon to get a taste for the main criticisms and again, people are saying that she quotes passages from the Koran out of context which as a non-Islamic scholar is really difficult to tease apart. I feel like there is some merit to "in context" arguments against critics of any religion, but there has to be some amount of "ok, it says what it says and there's no way around it" too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ interimlover, after reading "Infidel", I think that Hirsi Ali basically had a very abusive upringing among people who used religion to justify their abuse (which, incidentally, happens in all religions--not just Islam). Because of this abuse, she now (in her head, rightfully) blames Islam instead of her abusers. She's incredibly intelligent and passionate and her abuse was real. But, unfortunately, that abuse is not unique to Islam. People are abused in the name of "religion" all over the world in every culture--that's the issue that I think is at stake.

    ReplyDelete