Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Red tape of the dual life

Okay, so this is somewhat disturbing: Recently, the Persian-American journalist "D. Parvaz" from Seattle (she used to write for the Seattle P-I) was reported missing in Syria where she had gone to report for Al Jazeera. Syria passed her on to Iran, the country of her nationality, and now Iran won't confirm that she's even there. Apparently, the reason she was arrested is that she was in Syria without a visa (like me, she uses a U.S. and Iranian passport interchangeably--and her Iranian passport had expired even though she was there on an Iranian visa, since I guess it's easier to be there as an Iranian citizen instead of as an American one). The part that made me raise my eyebrows was the Iranian Foreign Ministry's statement about having multiple passports:

"The Iranian passport of the reporter had expired, she was going to visit Syria without journalist visa and she carried other passports, American and Canadian ones, as well. We do not accept double nationality."
For as long as I can remember, every time I've gone to Iran (which was typically every four years of my life since I was born in Seattle), I used my Iranian passport. On the way back to the U.S., you use your American passport to get back in. It's just typical practice. An entire generation of kids like me whose parents left after the revolution and gave birth to children in the U.S. who became American citizens have this exact same issue... and we all use our dual Iranian passports to get back into Iran. This new statement that Iran doesn't "accept double nationality" is kind of menacing though. What it tells me is that, if the Iranian government ever wants to make trouble, they can use this easy excuse, saying you're not allowed to have an American passport and you aren't recognized as being American as long as you have an Iranian passport.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you while I have been reading about her. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @A: SO scary. It feels so close to home just because she's from Seattle. I hope they let her go soon. I can't imagine how worried her family must be.

    ReplyDelete